MS-SQL Reporting Services (SSRS)
“SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) is a server-based report generation software system that provides a full range of ready-to-use tools and services to help you create, deploy, and manage reports for your organization.”
The primary function of SSRS is to deliver highly interactive and printed reports managed through web interface. The reports developed through SSRS software are defined in Report Definition Language (RDL).
It has various programming features to improve the functionality of the reports. Users have the option of receiving reports through e-mails or having them placed on a file system. SSRS also supports ad hoc reports, whereby designers develop a report layout and deploy it on the reporting server. Ad Hoc Reporting allows users to easily form their own reports and modify existing ones with little to no training. Users can choose relevant fields and generate reports, which can be downloaded locally.
- Gauge and Chart controls to display KPI data
- Provide subscription-based reports and on-demand reports
- Support for integration and visualization of maps and geospatial to Bing Map for enterprise framework
- Retrieve data from managed providers, OLE DB, and ODBC connections
- Display data in a variety of ways, including tabular, free form, and charts
- Enhancements like custom color palettes, merged charts, and multiple axes helps in creating visually appealing reports
- Create ad hoc reports and save them to the server and Embed graphics and images and external content
- Create custom controls using a report-processing extension
- Report controls simplify adding reporting functionality to Windows and web-based applications.
- Comprehensive range of tools to manage and integrate reports in a better way
- Export to many formats, including HTML, PDF, XML, CSV, TIFF, Word reports, and Excel
- Provide a Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) API and pluggable architecture
- SSRS has a "role-based security model" that provides complete safety to data
- Allow users to store and manage their own custom reports built with SSRS's Report Builder and manage subscriptions to the reports
- SRSS renders complete support for Madison, SQL Azure, PowerPivot and SharePoint data sources. Therefore, reports can be created from different sources right through the enterprise.